Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dumpling (Glutinuous rice dumpling)




In the lunar calendar, the fifth day of the fifth month, is the dumpling festival (Chinese Duan Wu Festival) and also we called it the Dragon boat festival. Most of the Chinese will make this glutinuous rice dumpling to worship the ancestor or the gods (It is actually say that the chinese make this dumpling to throw into the river to feed the fishes so that its won't eat Qu Yuan's body (a scholar and the minister to the King). Also u will find dragon boat races in the month in everywhere there is Chinese around. It is our Chinese tradition customs.




I had learned from my mom the way to wrap the steamed rice into a dumpling since last year. But few years ago, I did try it when I was living in Suzhou. A bunch of expatriates from Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Malaysia gather in my house to make effort to wrap the dumpling. None of us ever do it before, and it was our first time. However the result came out to be good and we at least enjoy the festive even though away from home. Of course we can buy it anywhere in China, but it is just not our taste. I still remember, the dumpling make by duck egg york, chestnut (may be not, can't really recall), pork, mushroom, and dried scallop (this one may be not, can't really recall). We boiled and cooked the dumpling for around 4 hours, and still remember instead of staying at home to wait for the dumpling ready, we just leave it cooking and went for a massage at opposite my apartment. The dumplings were ready to eat after our massage! It taste yummy but the shape is a bit odd. :p




I just manage to pass the "test" of making dumpling last year, too bad that I lost the chance to "review" it this year. My mom was doing it in weekday and I was working. This year, my mom was making lesser, that's why she didn't need our help. Previous year, she usually make 100pcs of vegetarian dumpling for charity purpose, and around 50pcs for family members. Last year, my sister in law came back to help, she is very good and fast in wrapping the dumpling. This year, she just come back to enjoy the festival as mom didn't need out help at all.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for your yummy dumplings..i feel honoured that i hv the luxury to order from your mom....your fren sure very envy me...haha!
    rgd, Gigi

    ReplyDelete